Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Southern Cross This Weekend!!



I will be traveling to GA to race SoCx this weekend.  Heading there on Friday morning with Greg Rittler and Tom Blanks, staying there over night on Friday, racingggg on Saturday and then returning home right after the race is over!

I am really looking forward to this one.  It is a 50ish mile ultra distance cyclocross race over mostly gravel roads and big climbs.  There will be over 6k in elevation and 2 major climbs that are about 10 miles each.  The course suites me well.

I ended base training (long slow mileage) a few weeks ago and my speed is just coming back.  I am hoping to be in decent form for this race, not great form but decent...  If I can just manage to ride hard the whole time and not have any mechanicals or flats that will be a victory!  My last Ultra Cross race was Iron Cross last October where I got a flat that took me out of contention.  This time I am riding Schwalbe Marathon Mondial tires that are basically overkill/bullet proof.  They might be a bit heavy but I will sacrifice that weight if it means no flats!  

Some of the fast guys, that I know, who are registered to race: 

  • Gerry Pflug - Riding in the SS class but having only 1 gear won't slow him down that's for sure.
  • Garth Prosser - 40+ overall winner from last year's Ultra Cross series
  • Mike Simonson - Super fast dude who can crank out the wattage
  • Paco Mancebo - Actually he is a pro level race who has crushed the Tour De France... I don't expect to be even close to this guy.
  • Thomas Turner - Winner from 2012 Southern Cross in a time just over 3hrs!
  • Brian Toone - This guy puts in massive mileage
  • Brian Patton - Ultra CX expert!
  • Jordan Kahlenberg - Training buddy and x-AFC team member
I hope I can keep up!

No comments:

Post a Comment