Sunday, September 9, 2012

Fool's Gold 100... so fun but a long day.


Watch more video of 2012 Fool's Gold 100 NUE Series Final on thom.cyclingdirt.org


The Fool's Gold 100 is the last race in the National Ultra Endurance (NUE) MTB race series.  It was my 4th race in the series in the Single Speed category which is the minumum required to place in the series.  If I had gotten 1st I would have finished in 2nd overall in the series.

The race started with a 10mile uphill!!  Awesome!  Gerry Pflug, Dwyane Goscinski, and I were the 3 Single Speeders with the group of top geared racers (including Jeremiah Bishop, Christian Tanguay, and the rest).  Once the road turned downhill/flat most of the geared guys got away.

Gerry put in a few hard efforts and he eventually gapped me at about mile 20 or so.  I learned my lesson at New Hampshire... never go to deep to early or pay for it later... if Gerry was that strong then I would have to let him get away and hopefully catch him later.  100miles is a longgg race.  Dwyane was only a bit behind me in 3rd.

For the rest of the race I was pretty much riding by myself.  That was okay because this course was AWESOME!!!  It was either epic climbing or totally rad single track. 

Somewhere near the end of the course I somehow got lost... Oh man!  Getting lost added 10-15 extra miles and about 1 extra hour to my ride... Ouch!  I went from 2nd place to 4th place in the Single Speed category.  Finishing 4th put me in 4th overall in the series instead of 3rd.  Thats okay.  It was a great day and a ton of fun.  Can't wait to race this one again next year, it was definitely one of the best courses.

No comments:

Post a Comment