Thursday, April 18, 2013

Baker's Dozen


1st place Single Speed (17laps 148miles)

Pre race pic with a few of the 30+ AFC racers at the race
Switching my bike to fully rigid was a very very bad idea.  I was pretty much miserable immediately and it was a 13hour bike race!!!  UGGG....  I barely kept it together.  I am going back to my shock for sure.

I just kept pedaling and tried not to take breaks that were too long after every lap.  I definitely took wayyy too many breaks but I knew I was in 1st by a decent amount so I took the chance and had my breaks.  In general if you want to win these races you just gotta keep going and almost never stop, I broke that rule and I was lucky to still pull out a win.

So many times I just wanted to quit.. so many.

Myself, Lance Byrd, and Paul Tarter (right behind Lance but not visible in the pic)
The first 3 laps I was happy to be riding with teammates Lance Byrd (finished 2nd SS!!) and Paul Tarter (finished 3rd gears!! and right behind Lance and I).  After those laps I was pretty much by myself for the rest of the 17laps (148miles) of my race.

At most of the endurance races I only eat what I bring but since this race had laps and since I was taking long breaks between laps I was tempted to eat things that I normal don't... bad idea.  I made the mistake of eating some donut holes after lap 7ish and that was definitely a lesson learned from this race.  They wrecked me!  I need to be more disciplined and stick with the PROBARs and CeraSport that I started with and that I know my body will digest and use as fuel immediately, instead of giving me tummy aches and diarrhea like the donuts did... that almost ended my race.  

I hope I don't fall apart like this at my first Wild Cat 100, my first NUE race of 2013, because if I do I know I won't be so lucky as to squeak out the win.. there are a lot of heavy hitters going to that one and they will all be super hard to beat even if I have the perfect race
.

1 comment:

  1. Way to stick it out! Your rigid and my wrong fit made for a painful day. Congrats on the win, you're gonna rock NUE this year.

    ReplyDelete